Boys swimming takes state bronzePosted February 13, 2023
Photo Credit: William Jenks
Ames boys swimming finished third as a team Saturday in Iowa City at the 2023 IHSAA State Swimming Championships. The Little Cyclones collected two event state titles en route to a team total of of 176 points.
In the opening event of the finals session, Ames collected gold in the 200 Medley Relay. The quartet of Evan Feilmeyer, Joshua Chen, Ian McCorkle, and Tristan Day clocked a 1:33.24 to edge out Linn-Mar’s squad for first-place.
Joshua Chen collected an individual title later in the afternoon in the 100 Breaststroke. Chen had led the state leaderboards the entirety of the season, finished his junior-year campaign on top with a time of 55.42. That mark edged out a strong challenge from Iowa City High’s Joe Polyak by just two-hundredths of a second.
A young team overall, the Little Cyclones return all of its team scoring from next season and looks to position itself for a team championship run in 2024.
AMES RESULTS (FINALISTS/POINT EARNERS):
- 200 Medley Relay: Evan Feilmeyer, Joshua Chen, Ian McCorkle, Tristan Day (1st – 1:33.24)
- 200 Freestyle: Josh Fisher (4th – 1:42.21)
- 200 Individual Medley: Joshua Chen (9th – 1:55.54); Chris Fisher (16th – 2:01.48)
- 50 Freestyle: Evan Feilmeyer (6th – 21.23)
- 100 Butterfly: Ian McCorkle (8th – 52.55)
- 500 Freestyle: Josh Fisher (5th – 4:42.21); Ian McCorkle (7th – 4:47.34)
- 200 Freestyle Relay: Joshua Chen, Tristan Day, Chris Fisher, Josh Fisher (10th – 1:27.92)
- 100 Backstroke: Evan Feilmeyer (12th – 0:00.00)
- 100 Breaststroke: Joshua Chen (1st – 55.52)
- 400 Freestyle Relay: Evan Feilmeyer, Chris Fisher, Ian McCorkle, Josh Fisher (8th – 3:11.38)
FULL RESULTS: https://stats.iahsaa.org/swimming/2023/