During athletic events, the safety of all students and spectators is the number one priority of the Ames Community School District. Due to an increase in the number of behavior issues during the 2023 fall season, the activities department is implementing new expectations and guidelines for all home high school athletic events starting with the 2023-24 winter sports seasons. Starting with the 2023-24 winter sports season, there will not be a designated middle school section for high school home events.
- All students attending home events at Ames High will be responsible, thoughtful, sportsmanlike and safe while cheering on the band, cheerleaders, and teams.
- Middle and High school students must have their school ID with them to enter the event. Students must present their school ID at the admission gate to show their student activity ticket (S.A.T.) or present their school ID at the admission gate and pay the admission fee to enter the event.
- Additionally, elementary and middle school students (K-8) must be accompanied into the contest by an adult who has purchased admission. The adult is responsible for the supervision of the student(s) they bring to the game with them.
- If an elementary or middle school student arrives without an adult, their parent/guardian will be notified to come get them or attend the contest with them.
- Elementary and middle school students are required to remain in the general area of the adult that accompanies them to the game.
- High School students should remain in the high school student section at all times, unless visiting the restroom or concession stand.
- No loitering is permitted near the concession stand or restrooms. All spectators are to remain seated in the bleachers unless visiting the restroom or concession stand. Aisles and walkways must be kept clear at all times.
- No firearms or weapons are permitted.
- No tobacco, cigarettes or electronic/vapor cigarettes are permitted.
- No alcoholic beverages or controlled substances are permitted.
- No animals are allowed (service animals will be permitted).
- No backpacks are permitted.
- No outside food/beverage (exception: sealed water bottle, light snack for young children, etc.),
- No artificial noisemakers, signs, and posters are permitted during home athletic contests.
- No projectiles or objects that can be used to play catch or throw are allowed at athletic events.
There will be no admission to the home events after the admission gate closes. If any individual leaves the game after the end of halftime, there will be no re-admittance into the game.
Students have the ability to visit the concession stand and restrooms, however at the end of their visit they must return to their seat. Students will not be allowed to hang out in the concourse or grassy area by the scoreboard (football). Students are not allowed to hang out on the track or cafeteria at any event in the high school.
Only participants, coaches, invited medical professionals, authorized working personnel, and school administrators will be allowed on the playing surface prior to the game, at halftime, or following the game. Authorized personnel must present a pass.
Failure to comply with the facility and event guidelines and expectations may result in removal from the contest.